Biggin C of E Primary School

Achieve Believe Care

Special Educational Needs

SENCo (Special Education Needs Coordinator): Miss Teresa Nicholls  (Headteacher)

SEND Governor: Mrs Julia Hewgill



SEND Policy July 2023

Biggin SEND Information Report - July 2023



 How does the school know if pupils need extra help?

  • We get to know prospective pupils and any additional needs they may have, through working closely with their pre-schools and parents.
  • We assess pupils on an ongoing basis to identify the progress they are making or if any are falling behind.
  • We meet parents each term to discuss progress and attainment and provide an opportunity to talk through any concerns.
  • We draw on the expertise of other professionals such as the Educational Psychologist and Speech Therapist to support the teaching staff working with individual children. 
  • We complete regular staff training on areas of need for our children.

What should I do if I think my child has SEN?

  • Make an appointment to speak to your child’s class teacher or the Headteacher, Miss Nicholls  who is also the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator.)
  • Information and guidance is also available through the Derbyshire Local Offer website at 


How will I know that the school will support my child?

  • We are an inclusive school.
  • We are committed through our school values to meeting the needs of all children so that all can achieve their best and flourish.
  • Please speak to Miss Nicholls about the support we are able to provide for individual circumstances .
  • We are flexible and use Quality First Teaching in very small teaching groups for all children in the first instance to give them the best possible support in the first instance.
  • We offer School SEN support for children who require additional help in the form of personalised interventions which are reviewed on an regular basis at least every half term.
  • We use the support of other professionals where children need specialist support.
  • We work with the Local Authority where children require extensive provision within an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP). More information about EHCPs can be found on the Derbyshire Local Offer website at 

How will the curriculum be matched to meet my child’s needs?

  • We believe all children are entitled to access a curriculum which is as broad as possible.
  • Teachers will adapt teaching of the curriculum to ensure it is accessible to all. The needs of most children with SEN can be met in this way. Parents have the opportunity to fully discuss their child's access to the curriculum.
  • We have a range of resources which can be used to support pupils particularly those with mild or moderate learning difficulties.
  • If a child has an Education Health Care Plan, this may specify how the curriculum can needs to be adapted.


How will I know how my child is doing?

  • We offer all parents the chance to meet their child’s class teacher each term to discuss progress.
  • You will be invited to participate in reviews of your child’s progress.
  • If your child has an Education Health Care Plan, you will be invited to participate in the annual review meeting.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Class teachers will offer ideas for supporting your child at home.
  • You may be given further advice from external agencies involved in supporting your child.
  • Derbyshire Information Advice and Support Service for SEND (formerly Parent Partnership) offers advice for parents at
  • The Derbyshire Local Offer offers advice for parents at 

What support will there be to support my child’s overall well-being?

  • Early Help Interventions will be sought with parental permission.
  • Contact can be made with Highfields Early Help team who will assess needs and offer to work with families at home and the child in school.
  • Derbyshire Information Advice and Support Service for SEND (formerly Parent Partnership) are able to offer advice.  Children can contact them on 01629 532029 or by email:

What specialist services or expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • We use the following resources to support children with some specific learning difficulties: Beat Dyslexia; Big Cat Reading Scheme; Accelerated Reading Early Literacy, Talisman Reading Scheme; Numicon Mathematics and SNIP resources and many others.

We  work with the following agencies:

  • Educational Psychology
  • Speech and LanguageTherapy
  • Hearing Support Service
  • Visual Support Service
  • Behaviour Support
  • School Support Special Educational Needs (SSSEN)
  • Autism Outreach
  • School Doctor and School Nurses
  • Children and Adults Mental Health Service (CAMHS)


What training have staff supporting pupils with SEND had?

  • Staff are experienced in using SEN resources.
  • Specific staff have received training to follow a Medical Plan.
  • Training would be sought to meet the needs of pupils with more specific requirements. For example, we currently employ a Level 3 Teaching Assistant who has received specialist training to meet the specific needs of an EHCP.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom?

  • Most areas of the school grounds are accessible by wheelchair.
  • Teachers adapt the outdoor curriculum to allow children to participate as far as they are able.
  • We encourage and support participation by all pupils in school trips and sporting activities as far as we are able. We invite parents to share in these events if that means their child can participate.


How accessible is the school environment?

  • Both school buildings and the playground can be accessed via ramps.
  • A path has been constructed to the PE/outdoor play store which is wheelchair accessible.
  • The path to the school garden can be accessed by wheelchair although further adaptations are required in this area.
  • Classroom furniture can be moved in both rooms to facilitate access and teaching.
  • We have an accessible toilet, hoist and a changing couch in school.


How will the school support my child in starting school and moving on?

  • We liaise closely with local pre-school staff and parents.
  • We offer all pupils several induction visits prior to starting school.
  • We hold a meeting for parents of children due to start school which gives them the opportunity to meet staff, learn what we offer and raise any concerns they may have.
  • Moving to a new class is straight-forward in our small school where all pupils are well-known by all staff. Records and concerns are shared.
  • We liaise closely with Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School (QEGS) and other secondary schools in the area throughout the year prior to children starting there. We have been able to offer children a full transition programme to enable them to visit and participate in a variety of lessons to aid their move. In addition we encourage all children to participate in school sports activities held at QEGS.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to pupil’s SEN?

  • We review our resources and always endeavour to ensure we have adequate materials to meet a pupils needs within the restrictions of our budget.
  • Some pupils with SEN are also eligible for Pupil Premium funding. We use this money to support them in small groups or one-to-one with a teacher.
  • Some children may be eligible for additional funding to ensure their needs are met.


How are decisions made about how much support my child will receive?

  • If a child has an EHCP, the hours of support from a Teaching Assistant will be specified in it.
  • The needs of the child, the balance of ages in the mixed-age classes, the availability of Teaching Assistants all have to be considered in deciding how much support and the type of support given. For some, working in small groups may be possible; for others it may need to be one-to-one.


How will I be involved in discussions and planning for my child’s education?

  • Your initial concerns will be taken seriously.
  • You will be invited to meetings with external agencies as applicable where you will be asked to give your views.
  • You will support us in expressing the views and wishes of your child.
  • You will particularly be involved in plans to aid the transition of your child to secondary school.
  • You will be invited to meet your class teacher at least 3 times a year as part of the school’s offer to all parents.


Who can parents contact for further information?


The School’s SEND Policy is available from the school office or the policies section of this website.